May 8, 2009

What a Day!

Today, I have marked as the scariest day being a mom/dad/parent/grandparent! It all started at 3am this morning. Drew and I get woken with this blood curdling scream from Skyler's room. We go in there and he is burning up. So, Drew and I knew just how to handle because we have been threw this a couple times, Tylenol, bottle, rock back to sleep! So we thought. His temp did not go down so, we undressed him into his diaper and place a cool rag over his head and he went and snuggled into bed with us. About 5am we wake again with blood curdling screaming. He is still SO warm. We gave him some moltin (because some times Tylenol does not help his fevers). And he feel asleep. I woke up started getting ready for work and Cliff and Daylane had come to get Skyler. And I told them that he had a ruff night, no more fever it was down to 98.7 but he still was not acting like himself. They said don't worry we have it cover.

About 9am I texted Daylane to see how lil man was and she said that he was doing GREAT! He was eating, laughing, playing in the garage with grandpa. So, I thought all was good that he is feel better. HA!! I get this phone call from Drew about 12:30 saying "You need to meet me half way from my work to your work." "why" I asked. Daylane just called me and told me that Skyler had a seizure and they are putting him the ambulance and taking him to McKay-Dee hospital in Ogden! I was so confused and lost that I hung up on Drew before I could think of where to meet him, is Skyler ok, What happened, anything- After I figured out what had just happened I called Drew back and he said he was coming to get me because he did not want me to drive. While I was waiting for Drew to get there I called Daylane and found out what happened. Skyler, went down for a nap and had woke up all red faced and red eared, they gave him some moltin and started to feed him lunch and that's when it happened. He went into a seizure. He stayed in the seizure for about 3 min's. They called 911 right away. The paramedic's showed up got him stabled and took him to the hospital. Cliff went with Skyler in the ambulance and Caysie and Daylane followed behind them.

Drew finally got to my work (which seemed like hours but it was really only like 10 mins) and off we went. As I got into the car with Drew and I saw the scared look on his face and him trying to hold back the tears I lost it. I could just picture Skyler sitting there so scared and just wanting his mommy! I think the drive to Ogden, Drew and I did it in record time. We got to the hospital and Skyler was sleeping. They where just getting ready to do some test on him to figure out why he had such a high fever (102.0) because he did not have any ear infections, cough, or sore throat so they need to figure out where the fever was coming from! They did chest x-rays, took blood, a pee sample and a snot sample.

Well, all of his tests came back fine. Ok, so why did he have the seizure??? The DR explained to us Skyler was starting to get a common virus or cold and that is what spiked his fever which made him have a seizure. It's called Febrile Seizures. From what I'm told by the DR it's very common and happen to 6 out of every 25 kids. (It must not be that common because I have never heard of this before!! ) The DR said that he will grow out of it by the age of 8 when his body can fight of the fever, but it's very possible that it will happen again!! So, knowing the Skyler is safe we got discharged and got to come home.

Skyler is doing better tonight. Still has a fever and is very tired. Drew and I are now going to be on alert 100% of the time when ever he seems to be getting a cold or a fever. Because I know that I don't want to go threw that ever again! I do want to thank Cliff, Daylane and Caysie for being so strong and taking such good care of Skyler until we got to him! We love you guys!!! Also, thank you to everyone everyone else that worried and showed support to us and caring for our lil dude!
Just got home from the hospital. Watching cars, eating Cheerios.
Sleeping off my fever with my new bear that the paramedic's gave me

4 comments:

Jessarella said...

OH.MY.GOSH! I got tears in my eyes. I cannot imagine! How scary. I am so glad he is ok. I have heard of those type of Febrile seizures. My nephew Rex had that happen to him. It has something to do with their temperatures changing so quickly.
What a scary night! Skyler! Stop scaring your mom and dad! Don't you know it is almost Mothers Day???

xoxoxo Jess

the larsons said...

Randi!! Oh my gosh!! That is sooo scary. I can't even imagine what that would be like. I am sorry:( I hope Mr. Sky gets feeling better...and stays feeling better. Poor little guy! XOXO!

Kimberly Kidman said...

Holy Crap!!! I am so glad everything turned out ok and that you now know what to be on the look out for. Poor little guy what a trooper :)

Merrills said...

Randi that is so scary I cant imagine how you felt I know I would have freaked out. I am glad he is doing better what brave little Skyler.